- Lambda = Serverless
- Serverless = next generation of cloud computing that will essentially replace EC2 instances (for the most part)
- Simply write code, and run it without provisioning or managing compute servers like EC2 instances.
- Lambda executes your code only when needed and scales automatically
- You pay only for the compute time you consume there is no charge when your code is not running.
- Runs your code on a high-availability compute infrastructure and performs all of the admin of the compute resources automagically — including server and operating system maintenance, capacity provisioning and automatic scaling, and code monitoring / logging.
- Lambda currently supports Node.js, Java, C#, Ruby, Go, .NET Core, and Python
- Pros: no servers to manage, continuous scaling, pay only for your compute time, integrates with all other AWS services nicely
cases: Data processing, real-time file processing, real-time stream
processing, build serverless back-ends for web, mobile, IoT, and
third-party API requests